SEEKING A MANAGING DIRECTOR
Musical Theatre Factory (MTF) is a non-profit, volunteer-based organization dedicated to helping musical theatre artists develop and present new work in a collaborative atmosphere free from the pressures of critical or commercial success. We work with new and developing talent as well as Broadway veterans and everywhere in between. More information on MTF can be found at www.mtf.nyc. We’re currently seeking a part-time Managing Director (25 hours per week plus events) to oversee the day-to-day operations of the Factory “Assembly Line” of development programs. The Managing Director may grow into a full-time position in the future. Musical Theatre Factory is an equal opportunity employer. Women and members of underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Role of the Managing Director
The Managing Director reports to the MTF’s Founding Artistic Director, Shakina Nayfack, as well as the MTF Board of Directors as part of the organization’s executive team. The Managing Director plays an integral role in the development and execution of the organization’s strategic plan in addition to day-to-day administrative activities, including:
Administration: The Managing Director is heavily involved in the hiring, supervision, and training of senior and volunteer staff. S/he collaborates with the Artistic Director to ensure the optimum balance of artistic quality, financial strength, and institutional integrity. The Managing Director also oversees all artist and union contracts. S/he holds regular office hours and is expected to be on site for the majority of MTF events.
Financial Management: The Managing Director works with the MTF Board Treasurer to develop an annual budget to support the organization’s programming and institutional priorities. S/he is responsible for monthly financial reporting, budget performance, and maintenance of the accounting systems.
Marketing: The Managing Director oversees the marketing staff in their planning of marketing strategies, public relations and promotional events.
Production Management: Musical Theatre Factory’s 2016 season will take place at a number of locations throughout Manhattan, and the Managing Director will be called upon to coordinate volunteer production management teams for each of these venues and their recurring events.
Fundraising: The Managing Director works with the Board of Directors, Artistic Director, and Development staff to strategize fundraising activities of the organization, including individual gifts and sponsorships, Board gifts, special events, corporate giving, government support, and foundation grants.
Board of Directors: The Managing Director serves, with the Artistic Director, as the primary staff liaison to the Board. The Managing Director assists the Board’s leaders as appropriate with the recruitment, education and development of Board members. The Managing Director is responsible for carrying out initiatives dictated by the Board of Directors in order to ensure Legal and Financial compliance of the organization, as well as implementing Organizational Policy determined by the Board.
Advocacy: The Managing Director helps to advance the relationship between MTF and various other organizations, including government agencies and advocacy groups, community and local business groups and arts organizations. The Managing Director/Artistic Director team presents the public face of MTF. The Managing Director may be called upon to speak at private and public events on behalf of the organization.
The ideal candidate will:
- Hold a master’s degree in Theatre or Arts Administration or comparable professional experience with a nonprofit or for-profit arts organization in a management/leadership role. Experience in fundraising, Board relations, marketing and prior experience with a theatre company is highly desirable;
- Have strong business skills and experience in budgeting, and creating long-term budgets and goals, and financial management;
- Demonstrate experience and capacity to lead, manage, motivate, inspire, train and collaborate with staff, artists, Board and volunteers;
- Have the ability to successfully develop and implement long-term strategic and annual tactical plans;
- Be a highly motivated self-starter with strong computer skills (experience with Salesforce, WordPress, Mailchimp, Formstack a plus)
- Be able to speak and write persuasively and serve as a spokesperson for MTF in public;
- Demonstrate experience and interest in supervising/managing fundraising campaigns and identifying new sources and increased levels of contributed income;
- Have knowledge of marketing, advertising and public relations activities, particularly as they relate to growing ticket and other earned income revenue;
- Demonstrate a passion for musical theatre and especially for the development of new work and fostering of new talent.
Position will be paid salary based on applicant’s qualifications.
Interested candidates are requested to submit an application comprised of the following:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three references.
Application materials should be submitted online at http://mtf.nyc/apply