June 8, 2017
The Loneliest Girl in the World
Music by Julia Meinwald
Book and Lyrics by Gordon Leary
Anita Bryant always knew that she was destined for greatness. She just had to figure out what God wanted her to do. She tried becoming Miss America, a pop star, a professional homemaker, a national treasure – all to no avail. After becoming a cultural crusader, she finally knew she was living God’s plan. But was it God’s plan to spur the gay rights movement with a single pie to the face?
- 2013 – Developed in residence in Ars Nova’s Uncharted Musical Theatre Writers group.
- 2013 – Weston Playhouse Writers Retreat
- 2013 – Reading with The Bats, directed by Benjamin Kamine, music directed by Rich Silverstein
- December 2013 – Selections presented in concert at Ars Nova, directed by Benjamin Kamine and music directed by Rich Silverstein
- July 2014 – Reading presented as part of Ars Nova’s OUTLOUD readings series in July 2014, directed by Portia Krieger and music directed by Andrew Resnick
- December 2014 – 15 minute excerpt presented as part of Musical Theatre Factory’s 4×15 Round 6
- 2015 Concert Production, Polyphone Festival, University of the Arts (Philadelphia, PA) and workshopped at University of the Arts
- 2016 NAMT Festival of New Musicals (as The Loneliest Girl in the World)
Formerly titled “PIED!” and “I Love You, Anita Bryant”